Monday, November 4, 2013

Memory Tray...

I recently took a once in a lifetime trip to England, where my father's side of the family is originally from. While I was there, I stayed with cousins I had never met before. I couldn't believe how well we all "got on" as they would say in England. I met family members whose names I have heard all my life, but never had the opportunity to meet and I saw family members that I met some 30 years ago when I was still a kid! It was an absolutely amazing experience! I kept a journal while visiting England and when I came back, I decided to send those cousins I mentioned before a gift to commemorate our visit and to thank them for their hospitality. The journal helped me to remember all of our experiences, the dates and details, and gave me the wonderful ideas for this memory tray!

I titled my memory tray, "The Rose Garden" for two reasons. First, Rose is the surname of my cousins with whom I stayed in a beautiful English cottage and secondly, because much of our time in England, Cambridge to be more exact, was spent in the garden having meals, tea, wine, and enjoying the company of my wonderful family! The Rose Garden is more than just a garden to me...it is the essence of what the word family means...people gathering and genuinely enjoying each other's company and telling stories of the past and sharing the dreams of the future.
I mailed this tray to them and the response was wonderful! I think the Roses like the tray, and treasure our vacation almost as much as I do!
I used a Tim Holtz configurations box to create this memory tray! I was so inspired by all that we saw and did that I had no trouble putting this project together. It was absolutely a lovely trip and continues to inspire me..... I hope that, in reading this blog and viewing the photos I've posted, the artist in you will be inspired as well.

Stay well and keep creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment